Department of Cognitive Science
Perception of other people's emotions
Edoardo Zamuner (firstname.lastname@example.org)Philosophy Department, La Trobe University, Bundoora
AbstractIn this paper I argue that one of the functions of the perceptual system is to detect other people's emotions when they are expressed in the face. I support this view by developing two separate but interdependent accounts. The first says that facial expressions of emotions carry information about the emotions that produced them, and about some of their properties. The second says that the visual system functions to extract the information that expressions carry about emotions.
Citation details for this article:Zamuner, E. (2010). Perception of Other People’s Emotions. In W. Christensen, E. Schier, and J. Sutton (Eds.), ASCS09: Proceedings of the 9th Conference of the Australasian Society for Cognitive Science (pp. 384-392). Sydney: Macquarie Centre for Cognitive Science.
Download the PDF here
- Adolphs, R., Gosselin, F., Buchanan, T.W., Tranel, D., Schyns, P., & Damasio A.R. (2005). A mechanism for impaired fear recognition after amygdala damage. Nature, 433, 68-72. doi: 10.1038/nature03086
- Baron-Cohen, S., Wheelwright, S., & Joliffe, T. (1997). Is there a "language of the eyes"? Evidence from normal adults, and adults with autism or Asperger syndrome. Visual Cognition, 4, 311-31. doi: 10.1080/713756761
- Baldwin, D. A., Baird, J.A., Saylor, M.M., & Clark, M.A. (2001). Infants parse dynamic action. Child Development, 72, 708-717. doi: 10.1111/1467-8624.00310
- Bassili, J.N. (1979). Emotion recognition: the role of facial movement and the relative importance of upper and lower areas of the face. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 37, 2049-58. doi: 10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249
- Bruce, V., & Young, A. (1986). Understanding face recognition. British Journal of Psychology, 77, 305-27.
- Dretske, F. (1973). Perception and other minds. Noûs, 7, 34-44.
- Ekman, P., Sorenson, E.R., & Friesen, W.V. (1969). Pan-cultural elements in facial displays of emotions. Science, 164, 86-8. doi: 10.1126/science.164.3875.86
- Ekman, P., & Friesen, W.V. (1978). Facial action coding system. Palo Alto: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Fernandez-Dols, J.M., & Carroll, J.M. (1997). Is the meaning perceived in facial expression independent of its context? In J.A. Russell & J.M. Fernandez-Dols (Eds), The psychology of facial expression. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Fodor J., & Pylyshyn, Z. (1981). How direct is visual perception? Some reflections on Gibson's "Ecological approach". Cognition, 9, 139-96. doi: 10.1016/0010-0277(81)90009-3
- Gallagher, S. (2008). Direct perception in the intersubjective context. Consciousness and Cognition, 17, 535-43.
- Gibson, E.J., Gibson, J.J., Smith, O.W., & Flock, H. (1959). Motion parallax as a determinant of perceived depth. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 58, 40-51. doi: 10.1037/h0043883
- Gibson, J.J. (1979). The ecological approach to visual perception. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Gordon, R.M. (1969). Emotions and knowledge. The Journal of Philosophy, 66, 408-13. doi: 10.2307/2024422
- Griffiths, P.E. (2003). Basic emotions, complex emotions, Machiavellian emotions. In A. Hatzimoysis (Ed.), Philosophy and the Emotions. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Handel, S. (2006). Perceptual Coherence. Hearing and Seeing. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Hinde, R.A. (1985a). Expression and negotiation. In G. Zivin (Ed.), The Development of Expressive Behavior. New York: Academic Press, pp. 103-116.
- Hinde, R. A. (1985b). Was "The Expression of Emotions" a misleading phrase? Animal Behaviour 33, 985-992.
- James, W. (1884). What is an emotion? Mind, 9, 188-205.
- Johansson, G. (1975). Visual motion perception. Scientific American, 232, 76-80.
- Lee, S.H., & Blake, R. (1990). Visual form created solely from temporal structure. Science, 284, 1165-8.
- Marr, D. (1982). Vision: a computational investigation into the human representation and processing of visual information. New York: Freeman.
- Nudds, M. (2007). Auditory perception and sounds. http://homepages.ed.ac.uk/mnudds/papers/ap.pdf (last accessed 07/07/2009).
- Peacocke, C. (1983). Sense and content. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Prinz, J. (2004). Gut reactions: a perceptual theory of emotion. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Roberts, R. (2003). Emotions: an essay in aid of moral psychology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Rock, I. (1982). Inference in perception. PSA: Proceedings of the Biennial Meeting of the Philosophy of Science Association, Vol. 2, 525-40.
- Schmidt, K.L., Ambadar, Z., Cohn, J.F., & Reed, L.I. (2006). Movement differences between deliberate and spontaneous facial expressions: zygomaticus major action in smiling. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior, 30, 37-52. doi: 10.1007/s10919-005-0003-x
- Solomon, R.C. (1977). The logic of emotion. Noûs, 11, 41-49.
- Wollheim, R. (1999). On the emotions. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Wednesday 22nd Feb,
Dr Dries Trippas,
"Belief bias in syllogistic reasoning: A meta-analysis of ROC data."
- Thursday 23rd Feb,
Dr Edwin Burns,
"Our experiences with faces and language shape face perception."
- Friday 24th Feb,
"Perception of L2 morphophonology by Mandarin learners of English. ..."
- Wednesday 1st Mar,
Professor Ocke-Schwen Bohn,
"Infant directed speech and its implications for language development: ..."
- Wednesday 1st Mar,
Distinguished Professor Douglas H Whalen,
"Characteristics and usefulness of phonetic variability. (CLaS-CCD ..."
- Dr Mariia Kaliuzhna
- Professor Karin Landerl
- Xiaohe Yuan
- Professor Roelien Bastiaanse
- Professor Gabriele Miceli
- Professor David Howard
- Professor Barbara Höhle
- Associate Professor Douglas Cheyne
- Professor Masanori Higuchi
- Associate Professor Daisuke Oyama
- Professor Yasuhiro Haruta
- Professor Gen Uehara
- Associate Professor Annette Bohn
- Professor Ocke-Schwen Bohn [Previous Visitors]