Department of Cognitive Science
News and Events
Here you can find information on awards and recognition earned by centre members. This can be (but not limited to) media appearances, grants awarded, external appointments, awards and PhD graduations.
For information about grants awarded to MACCS, refer to our Research pages.
- Macquarie University Innovation and Scholarship Program (ISP) (2016) "A scalable, cost-effective, and highly immersive lab-based approach to undergraduate teaching in the cognitive and brain sciences." de Wit, B. & Kaplan, D.M. ($55,073)
- Ian Potter Foundation Travel Grant (2015 - 2016) “Cognitive Neuroscience Society 2016 Annual Meeting, New York, USA” Yang, J. ($2,200)
- Macquarie University Faculty of Human Sciences Equipment Grant (2015) "Elastic caps for electroencephalogram (EEG) electrode placement." Badcock, N., Caruana, N., de Lissa, P., Boisvert, I., Sharma, M., McMahon, C., Demuth, K., & McArthur, G. ($2,902)
- Macquarie University Faculty of Human Sciences Open Access Journal Assistance Scheme (2015) "Emerging object representations in the visual system predict reaction times for categorization" (PLOS Computational Biology). Carlson, T., & Ritchie, J.B. ($2,000)
- Macquarie University Faculty of Human Sciences Open Access Journal Assistance Scheme (2015) "Flexible coding of task rules in frontoparietal cortex: An adaptive system for flexible cognitive control" (Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience). Woolgar, A., Rich, A., & Williams, M. ($1,698)
- Macquarie University Faculty of Human Sciences Open Access Journal Assistance Scheme (2015) "Face processing in the brains of pre-school aged children measured with MEG" (NeuroImage). Johnson, B., He, W., & Brock, J. ($2,000)
- ARC CCD Cross Program Support Scheme (2016) "Evaluating the achievement of joint attention in schizophrenia: An ERP and virtual reality study." Caruana, N., Langdon, R., Seymour, K., McArthur, G., Rhodes, G., Kloth, N., & Murphy, C. ($39,947)
- ARC CCD Cross Program Support Scheme (2016) "Lost for words: Exploring how language disruption impacts social interactions in dementia." Irish, M., Barnier, A., Harris, C., Thornton, R., Crain, S., & Piguet, O. ($39,656)
- ARC CCD Cross Program Support Scheme (2016) "Testing the two-factor theory of delusional belief in dementia." Kumfor, F., Landin-Romero, R., Devenney, E., Piguet, O., Langdon, R., & Connaughton, E. ($39,656)
- ARC CCD Cross Program Support Scheme (2016) "Treating spelling problems in primary progressive aphasia: Informing theory of impairment and supporting ongoing communication." Nickels, L., Croot, K., Kohnen, S., Krajenbrink, T., Taylor, C., & Savage, G. ($38,772)
- ARC CCD Cross Program Support Scheme (2016) "A new approach to study the neural basis of distorted gaze perception in schizophrenia: assessing neural coding of gaze directions." Seymour, K., Langdon, R., Caruana, N., Rhodes, G., Clifford, C., Wardle, S., & Johnson, B. ($39,790)
- Australasian Journal of Ultrasound Medicine, Best AJUM First Time Author Original Research Paper (2015), Carrigan, A.
- British Aphasiology Society (BAS) Biennial International Conference, Best Poster Prize (2015), Barr, P., Biedermann, B., Kohnen, S., Tainturier, M.J., & Nickels, L. "Generalisation of written homophone treatment in aphasia."
- Promotion to Level B (2015), Carruthers, G.
- Macquarie University Research Excellence Awards: Highly Commended 'Innovative Technologies' (2015), Badcock, N. "Efficient and child-friendly measures of brain activity using a video-gaming system."
- Macquarie University Research Excellence Awards: Highly Commended for The Jim Piper Award for Excellence in Research Leadership (2015), Barnier, A.J.
- Tertiary Student Award (Learning Difficulties Australia) (2015), Colenbrander, D. In recognition of significant research which advances the understanding of theoretical and practical issues in the field of learning difficulties.
- Eminent Researcher Award (Learning Difficulties Australia) (2015), Coltheart, M. Presented by the Australian Journal of Learning Difficulties.
- Distinguished Professor Katherine Demuth - Fellow, Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia. (2015 continuing)
- Dr Amanda Selwood - Autobiographical memory and collaborative remembering in twins and siblings..
- Dr Sally Finnie - Specifity of a olfactory stress test performance in several neurologhical disorders..
- Dr Lisa Ceccherini - The effects of a concomitant distractor on word reading aloud and picture naming tasks..
- Tuesday 29th Sep,
Professor Richard Wiese,
"Rhythmic structure in language (and music) (CLaS-CCD Research ..."
- Wednesday 30th Sep,
Professors Stephen Crain and Lyndsey Nickels, Associate Professor Rosalind Thornton and Dr Loes Koring,
"Open discussion on Ewa Dabrowska paper "What exactly is Universal ..."
- Thursday 22nd Oct,
"General introduction to the MEG lab equipment and software"
- Professor Naomi (Wenkai) Chen
- Chloe Garret
- Peta Larkin
- Robert Keys
- Zoe Powell
- Dr Martin Hebart
- Sietske van Viersen
- Professor Kathleen Rastle [Previous Visitors]